July 21, 2008
Health Tip: If Your Child Wears Glasses
How to encourage their use
(HealthDay News) -- If your child has been prescribed glasses, you may have a difficult time getting your child to wear them.
The Children's Physician Network offers these suggestions:
- Let your child choose the frames, and be sure to give lots of compliments on how great they look.
- Start out having your child wear the glasses for short periods, until they become more comfortable.
- Encourage your child to wear glasses while doing something enjoyable, such as watching a movie or reading a book.
- Don't nag the child about wearing glasses, but praise them when they do.
- Wearing glasses should be part of the daily routine, much like teeth brushing or getting dressed.
- Mention sports heroes, actors or family members who wear glasses.