July 19, 2007
Health Tip: Protecting Your Eyes
How to keep them healthy
(HealthDay News) -- There are important steps you should take to keep your eyes healthy and prevent vision problems.
Here are suggestions from the U.S. National Library of Medicine:
- Have regular checkups performed by an ophthalmologist or optometrist. They should be done at least annually if you are older than age 65 or if you have diabetes.
- Have an eye exam if you notice any changes in vision, including blurriness, dimness, blind spots, or halos around lights.
- Wear sunglasses whenever you're outside.
- Avoid too much alcohol and cigarette smoking.
- Maintain healthy blood pressure and cholesterol.
- If you are diabetic, keep your blood sugar at a healthy level.
- Eat foods that have plenty of antioxidants, such as leafy greens and vegetables.