Australian Rules Footballer Commits Party Foul
Following episode of ingested beer cap, emergency department doctor suggests wine, champagne as less-risky beverage
MONDAY, Dec. 24 (HealthDay News) -- While participating in festivities, it's wise to limit consumption of alcoholic beverage containers to zero, according to an article published in the Dec. 22 issue of BMJ.
Robert J. Douglas, of the Royal Adelaide Hospital in Australia, shares the case of a 24-year-old Australian rules football player who presented to the emergency department with symptoms of a foreign body lodged in his throat. Earlier in the day, while celebrating a team victory, he had inadvertently swallowed a beer bottle cap lurking in his beverage.
A chest radiogram showed the round, scalloped-edge foreign body at the level of the aortic arch. The bottle cap was subsequently removed via endoscopy without complications.
"Excessive alcohol consumption as a celebratory consequence of high-profile sporting victories is well known. Esophageal obstruction from a bottle cap, however, is rarely seen in emergency departments. In suspected cases, airways obstruction and injury should be rapidly excluded," the author writes. "A comprehensive Medline search failed to elicit an example of esophageal obstruction secondary to the ingestion of a champagne (or wine) cork. Since the 18th century, champagne has been the beverage of choice for celebrations and on current evidence should remain so," Douglas quips.