May 20, 2015
Health Tip: Wear Baseball Gear
And make sure it fits correctly
(HealthDay News) -- To fend off baseball injuries, players should always wear appropriate protective equipment.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons suggests:
- Make sure the equipment fits properly and is appropriate for your position.
- Batters at the plate, on deck and those running bases should wear a helmet. For better protection, use a face shield attached to the helmet.
- Catchers should use a helmet, protective supporter and chest guard, shin guards, throat guard and face mask.
- All players should wear shoes that fit well and have cleats.
- Use softer baseballs in youth leagues, and teach players how to avoid being hit by the ball.