(HealthDay News) -- Biking is great exercise -- not to mention a lot of fun. But a nasty spill can ruin your fun, so it's important to protect yourself every time you pedal.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these safety recommendations:
- Always bike with a helmet, no matter how short the trip.
- Wear sunglasses, which also helps prevent eye irritation from dirt and bugs.
- Choose outfits that are bright and easy for others to see. Avoid riding at night.
- Bike with padded gloves to help prevent hand injuries.
- Wear padded biking shorts, and use a padded or comfortable bike seat.