(HealthDayNews) -- Before your child takes his first bike ride of the season, follow these safety tips, courtesy of the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia:
- Check the bike's fit. Your child's legs should have a slight bend when fully extended, and he should be able to touch the ground easily when he stops.
- Have a reputable bike shop tune up the bike.
- Fill the tires and check air pressure every few weeks.
- Have your child try on his helmet for size and comfort. Replace it if necessary.
- Consider eye protection. Goggles with ultraviolet protection can keep the sun and debris out of your child's eyes.
- Review the rules of the road with your child.