January 31, 2005
Health Tip: Skate Safely
Some pointers when you're on the ice
(HealthDayNews) -- Ice skating is a fun way to spend winter and get some great exercise. The National Safety Council offers suggestions on how to stay safe on the ice:
- Wear skates that fit comfortably yet provide enough ankle support.
- Have the blades professionally sharpened at the beginning of each season.
- If skating on a pond or lake, skate only on designated areas where you are sure the ice is strong enough to withstand your weight.
- Always be wary of cracks, holes and debris on the ice.
- Wear warm clothing and rest when you become tired or cold.