How to ease tendon aches
(HealthDayNews) -- If the area between your heel and lower calf feels tender when you run, climb stairs, or walk on your toes, you may have Achilles tendonitis -- an irritation of the tendon on the back of your ankle and heel.
To relieve the pain and hasten recovery, the University of Illinois Health Center offers these tips:
- Lay off all activities that cause pain, especially running, impact cardio classes and jumping.
- Ice the area two to three times a day.
- Take an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory medication to reduce inflammation.
- Shoes that have a firm arch support and well-cushioned heel help reduce the tension in the Achilles tendon.
- Stretch your calf muscles.