August 16, 2011
Health Tip: Get the Right Fit for Athletic Shoes
Suggestions for choosing the right pair
(HealthDay News) -- Wearing properly-fitted athletic shoes can keep your feet comfy during a workout and help reduce the risk of injury.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions for choosing athletic shoes:
- Shop for shoes when your feet are their largest -- either at the end of the day or after a workout.
- Try on shoes with the same type of sock that you'll wear when you exercise.
- Make sure you can easily wiggle your toes, and that the shoes are comfortable when you try them on.
- Run or walk several steps in the shoes to make sure they're comfortable.
- Properly lace shoes when you try them on.
- Make sure the shoes firmly grip your heels and don't slip off when you're walking or running.
- Choose a sports-specific shoe if you participate in a particular sport at least three times per week.