Health Tip: Running Safely
Start conditioning, prevent injury
(HealthDay News) -- Preparing your body, choosing your course and planning for the running environment are important steps toward preventing running injuries.
Here are additional safety suggestions for runners, courtesy of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons:
- Warm up and stretch before a run, and cool down and stretch afterward.
- Run with a partner or buddy. If running alone, make sure someone else knows where you'll be.
- Run in safe, familiar areas with minimal vehicle traffic.
- Protect yourself from the sun.
- Avoid running at night. If you do run when light is fading, wear reflective clothing.
- Run on smooth, fairly soft surfaces with a clear path. Avoid hills, which stress the ankles and feet.