December 3, 2004
Health Tip: Buying Athletic Shoes
Take your time, and do it right
(HealthDayNews) -- On your way to the shoe store for new athletic shoes? Here are some buying tips, courtesy of the American Academy of Podiatric Sports Medicine:
- Select a shoe that's built for the specific sport in which you're participating.
- Go to a store that specializes in athletic shoes and has a good reputation in your community.
- Bring with you a list of past and present injuries. And don't forget your old shoes, to use for comparison.
- Have your feet measured every time you purchase shoes. Measurements should include sitting, standing, heel-to-toe, heel-to-ball, and width.
- Wear the socks you plan to use, and don't forget your inserts or orthotics.