Health Tip: Don't Ignore Pain During Exercise
Listen to your body
(HealthDay News) -- It's important to challenge yourself during exercise. But you should never ignore pain -- a sign that you're potentially stressing or damaging your joints.
The Cleveland Clinic offers this advice for people who exercise to strengthen the back:
- Don't jump rope, which can cause too much stress on the spinal disks.
- Running is fine, as long as you're not in pain.
- Wear sturdy, supportive shoes or sneakers while walking or running. Avoid uneven surfaces.
- Stop exercising if you feel back pain that is worsening or spreading into the legs.
- Work with a physician or physical therapist if you have pain during exercise or activity.
- Pay attention to your body's warning signs that you're pushing yourself too hard.