(HealthDay News) -- Strength training with weights may help your muscles and overall health. But it's important to train safely and wisely.
The Harvard Medical School offers these tips:
- Take five to 10 minutes before your workout to walk around and warm up. After working out, cool down with gentle stretching.
- Pay more attention to your form than the weight you are lifting. Move slowly with proper alignment and technique.
- Count to three as you raise and lower each lift to make sure you are lifting at an appropriate tempo. Exhale as you lift, and inhale as you release.
- Gradually increase weight to challenge your body.
- Allow your muscles to rest for at least 48 hours between workouts.