February 23, 2016
Health Tip: Getting More Active at Home
Suggestions to avoid being a couch potato
(HealthDay News) -- You don't have to belong to a gym for you and family members to get enough exercise. Why not start at home?
The American Heart Association suggests:
- Do your own housework, mow the lawn or rake leaves.
- Before meals, head outside for a short walk. Start out with a five-to-10-minute walk and work your way up to 30 minutes. If you're heading to a nearby store, take a bike or walk and leave the car home.
- While watching TV, do sit-ups, stretch or use home gym equipment. While you talk on the phone, stand up.
- Take the family dog for a walk.
- Park further from your destination so you get in extra steps. If you're headed to the mall, bring some sneakers and walk a few laps.
- Stretch, bend and squat while looking for items around the house.