April 6, 2009
Health Tip: Jump Rope for Fitness
A fun way to stay active
(HealthDay News) -- If you're tired of the gym, going for a run, or home exercise equipment, you may want to opt for jumping rope.
The American Council on Exercise suggests these tips to help you enjoy a safe, fun workout by jumping rope:
- Keep a firm but gentle grip on the handles at the end of the rope.
- Tuck your elbows in near your body, and relax your shoulders.
- Slightly bend your knees, and use your wrist to swing the rope in a smooth arc over your head.
- Keep your head up and your back straight as you jump. Don't curve your back forward.
- Don't jump too high, which can adversely affect your ankles and knees.