January 15, 2009
Health Tip: Oh, Those Aching Muscles
Suggestions to soothe the soreness
(HealthDay News) -- If you've been working out a bit too hard, or if you're just getting into exercise, you might have minor muscle soreness.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine offers these suggestions to help manage minor muscle pain:
- Allow your muscles to rest. Don't engage in any heavy exercise while they recover.
- Take acetaminophen or ibuprofen to ease pain.
- For the first few days, ice the area. After the first two to three days, apply heat to the sore muscles.
- As you recover, try low-impact exercises such as swimming, biking and walking. Gradually work your way up to longer and tougher exercises.
- Sleep, stretch and avoid stress.