October 5, 2016
Health Tip: Stretch Before and After a Workout
Here's how to do it correctly
(HealthDay News) -- You work out as often as possible. But do you know how to stretch properly?
The American Council on Exercise offers these stretching suggestions:
- Breathe in deeply, then slowly exhale as you stretch the desired muscle to tension. Hold for up to 30 seconds, then relax and repeat the stretch a few more times.
- Hold the stretch still (moving as little as possible), which can help prevent you from hurting yourself.
- Don't stretch a muscle that isn't properly warmed up.
- Don't stretch a muscle to the point that it hurts.
- Breathe normally as you stretch; never hold your breath.