Home Gym Homework
Some tips on buying workout equipment
You've been thinking about buying home exercise equipment, but aren't sure where to start. The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons has some suggestions.
First, make sure the machines meet your fitness goals. For instance, if you run outside, you may want to purchase weight equipment to complement your running.
Other tips include:
- make sure you'll use the equipment at least two times a week;
- test the equipment in your workout clothes before buying it;
- if your body aches or feels uncomfortable during the test, don't buy the equipment;
- don't believe outrageous claims of quick results;
- expensive equipment isn't necessarily better.
Finally, the academy urges you to consult a doctor if you have a pre-existing condition like back pain or heart trouble.