February 12, 2004
Tell someone where you're headed
(HealthDayNews) -- Snowmobiling is a popular winter activity, but it can also be one of the most dangerous.
Transport Canada suggests these safety precautions:
Before you set out:
- Tell someone where you're headed and your estimated arrival time.
- Inspect your snowmobile for mechanical problems.
- If you're crossing lakes or rivers, wear a flotation device.
- Carry a first aid and survival kit.
- Check local avalanche conditions in avalanche-prone areas.
When you're on the trail:
- Ride within your capabilities.
- Use snowmobile trails whenever possible.
- Stay on the right side of the trail.
- Take it slow in unfamiliar territory.