July 24, 2001
Tips for your first visit down under
Lots of vacationers take up snorkeling when visiting ocean resorts.
The American Red Cross offers some suggestions to make your first forays into the undersea world safer:
- understand how your equipment works and check it carefully;
- know how to clear your snorkel of water;
- make sure you know how to put your mask on while treading water;
- practice in shallow water;
- avoid currents that will carry you far from your boat or the shore;
- always snorkel with other people.