(HealthDayNews) -- Stretching before and after exercising is key to avoiding injury. But the way in which you stretch is just as important.
Montana State University, Northern, offers these safe stretching tips:
- Don't stretch a cold muscle. Warm up by walking, jogging, or by taking a warm bath.
- Use a static stretch, which is stretching to the point where the muscle feels tight but not painful. Hold for 20 seconds to a minute.
- Avoid lunging or bouncing.
- Breathe naturally and stay relaxed.
- Ease into the stretch slowly and rhythmically.