(HealthDay News) -- In-line skating can help children have fun while getting a great aerobic workout that helps strengthen muscles. But it's important that they follow safety guidelines to prevent injury.
The American Academy of Pediatrics lists these safety rules for children using in-line skates:
- Dress in protective gear when skating.
- Maintain control when skating and make sure you allow enough room to stop safely.
- When on a path, skate on the right side and use the left only to pass.
- Don't skate in areas where pavement is uneven or there is heavy traffic.
- Always yield to pedestrians and follow all traffic rules.