November 6, 2002
Tips for hitting the slopes
(HealthDayNews) -- If snowboarding's your thing, you need to protect yourself against common but often preventable injuries.
The Medical College of Wisconsin suggests these tips:
- Get in shape before hitting the slopes.
- Use the right equipment. Beginners should go for all-purpose snowboards.
- Learn from a trained instructor in good weather.
- Wear wrist guards or keep your hands clenched in a fist position.
- Consider using ski poles, especially if you're a beginner.
- Wear a helmet. The back of the head is a frequent impact area.
- Snowboard on uncrowded slopes that have packed snow.