(HealthDay News) -- Make sure a day at the beach stays fun by taking precautions to keep the family safe.
The American Red Cross advises:
- Only swim where there is a lifeguard.
- Never swim after drinking alcohol.
- Check local weather.
- Anyone who isn't a strong swimmer should wear a life jacket approved by the U.S. Coast Guard. No other type of flotation device should be substituted.
- Never dive head first.
- Carefully supervise elderly people and young children, even in shallow water.
- Pay attention to any ocean animals and plants.