May 17, 2015
Health Tip: Swimming Pools Can Harbor Germs
Keep the water clean for safety sake
(HealthDay News) -- While most swimming pools contain chemicals to help kill germs, these germ-destroyers may not be 100 percent effective all the time.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends:
- Shower to help rinse off germs before you get into the water.
- Never urinate or pass a bowel movement in swimming water.
- If you have diarrhea, don't go swimming.
- Never drink pool water.
- Every hour, have kids get out of the pool for a bathroom break or diaper change.
- Make sure chlorine and pH levels are safe before anyone gets in the water.