September 22, 2015
Health Tip: Walk Correctly
Tips to avoid hurting yourself
(HealthDay News) -- Walking bears a low risk of injury, but it's still possible to hurt yourself if you do it wrong.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons recommends:
- Walk slowly and easily for about five minutes to warm up, then increase your speed for about 15 minutes.
- As you walk, swing your arms.
- Walk with your abdomen flat, back straight and head up.
- Point your toes forward.
- Walk with a long stride that is comfortable and without strain.
- End your walk with a five-minute cool-down and some gentle stretches.