December 12, 2002
Hyped for Hiking
Advance preparation is key
(HealthDayNews) -- If you're a hiker, preparing for your treks in advance will help keep you safe.Aspen Valley Hospital offers these tips:
- Before setting out, check the weather report.
- Pack sun protection, regardless of the temperature, and include sunglasses, a hat, sun block, and lip balm.
- Drink lots of water and eat something every two hours to fuel your muscles.
- Tape hot spots on your feet before they become blisters.
- Choose your location or trail according to your experience.
- Never go alone and let someone at home know where you're headed.