(HealthDay News) -- A life jacket is an essential safety tool any time your child is on a boat or personal watercraft.
The American Academy of Pediatrics suggests these life jacket rules for your child:
- Know how to correctly put on and secure your own life jacket.
- Understand how to properly use a life jacket and be comfortable wearing it.
- Make sure the life jacket fits your child properly and is correctly fastened.
- Never use an inflatable toy, air mattress or water wings in place of a life jacket.
- Adults should also wear a life jacket when on a boat or personal watercraft, setting a good example for children.