February 25, 2009
Health Tip: Lift Weights to Boost Your Health
Suggestions for doing it safely
(HealthDay News) -- Lifting weights is a great way to build up or tone your muscles. But if you're not careful, you can cause permanent injury.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions for safe weight lifting:
- Remember to always wear sturdy shoes that provide traction when lifting weights. Also make sure that any weight machines are in good working order.
- Keep your back straight when lifting. Also remember to be careful when carrying weights around the weight room.
- Always ask someone to spot you when lifting very heavy weights.
- Always exhale while you lift the weights upward.
- Limit each set of muscles to only three workouts each week.
- If your muscles start to hurt, stop lifting.