October 23, 2016
Health Tip: Beginning Yoga
Make sure it's safe
(HealthDay News) -- If you have arthritis and want to start practicing yoga, you'll need to make sure that your routine is safe and effective.
The Harvard Medical School recommends:
- Avoiding vigorous types of yoga that could injure your joints. Move slowly and easily.
- Opting for forms of yoga such as Vinyasa or flow, which are less stressful on the joints.
- Talking to your instructor before your class about your condition and any precautions you should take.
- Practicing yoga in the afternoon or evening instead of the morning, when your joints may be stiffer.
- Talking to your doctor about adjusting your yoga movements during flares to accommodate painful joints.