Health Tip: Avoid a Sure Way to Ruin Your Vacation
Prevent traveler's diarrhea
(HealthDay News) -- Many an overseas traveler has had a rumbling stomach and abdominal cramps, two common warning signs of traveler's diarrhea. This pesky and often dangerous menace can spoil a vacation as fast as its symptoms can creep up on you.
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention suggests ways to keep traveler's diarrhea at bay:
- Drink only bottled beverages, including water. Check to make sure each bottle is properly sealed.
- Skip the ice.
- Eat only cooked foods that are served hot.
- Wash fruit and veggies to be eaten raw in bottled water.
- Brush teeth with bottled water.
- Keep your hands clean. Wash them well and often.