Health Tip: Prevent Traveler's Diarrhea
Don't use tap water for drinking, ice or brushing teeth
(HealthDay News) -- If you're visiting a country where the water may not be germ-free, you can take steps to preserve your vacation or business trip by preventing traveler's diarrhea.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions:
- Don't drink or brush your teeth with water from the tap, and avoid ice unless you know it was made with purified water.
- Make sure the seal is intact on any bottle of purified water before you drink.
- Avoid consuming any unpasteurized dairy foods or drinks, as well as any fruits or vegetables that can't be peeled.
- Avoid leafy vegetables (such as lettuce or spinach) and fruit salad.
- Don't eat raw or rare meat, or seafood.
- Don't buy food off the street.