Health Tip: When Antacids May Not Be Enough
Signs you should see the doctor
(HealthDay News) -- For the occasional bout of heartburn, antacids can provide some relief. But taking antacids day after day isn't a good idea.
According to the U.S. National Library of Medicine, it's time to stop relying on antacids and see your doctor when you notice these warning signs:
- Heartburn pain that doesn't improve after taking antacids.
- Experiencing indigestion symptoms daily.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Bloody stools or very dark stools.
- Abdominal cramps or bloating.
- Pain in the back, side or lower abdominal area.
- Stomachache accompanied by fever.
- Shortness of breath or chest pain.