(HealthDay News) -- Bed bugs can hide in furniture, luggage and clothing, causing itchy, painful bites.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency suggests how to help prevent bed bug infestations:
- Carefully inspect any secondhand couches, beds and other furniture for signs of bed bugs.
- Protect any mattress and box spring with a cover. Make sure it is of good quality and light in color, Remember to inspect it frequently for tears and bed bugs.
- Cut down on clutter throughout your home to provide fewer areas for bed bugs to hide.
- If staying in a hotel, keep luggage up on racks, not on the floor.
- Inspect hotel mattresses and headboards carefully.
- When you return from a trip, put clothing directly into the washing machine. Carefully check luggage for bed bugs.