Health Tip: Enjoying a Holiday Fire

Take precautions to keep it safe

Please note: This article was published more than one year ago. The facts and conclusions presented may have since changed and may no longer be accurate. And "More information" links may no longer work. Questions about personal health should always be referred to a physician or other health care professional.

(HealthDay News) -- A fire can be a cozy way to keep warm during winter, but it can be dangerous if you don't take precautions.

The University of Michigan Health System recommends:

  • Placing smoke detectors outside every bedroom and on each level of your home.
  • Using a fireplace screen that can keep sparks from flying out. Be sure to remove boughs, paper and holiday decorations from the area before you light a fire.
  • Using the fireplace only when you are home and awake.
  • Taking care when burning fire salts to add color to your fire. They can be dangerous if a young child ingests them.
  • Avoid burning greenery or wrapping paper in the fireplace.

--

Last Updated: