November 6, 2006
Health Tip: Fireplace Safety
Suggestions to prevent home fires
(HealthDay News) -- Fireplaces, wood stoves, and space heaters may help keep you warm in winter, but they can also pose fire and smoke hazards. Here are suggestions when using these appliances, courtesy of the Pennsylvania Department of Health:
- Always keep a fire extinguisher near the source of heat.
- Regularly maintain, clean and inspect these heat sources.
- Be sure your home is properly ventilated.
- Only use the type of fuel or kindling that your heat source requires.
- Inspect all electrical cords, and never use an appliance with a frayed or damaged cord.
- Keep all drapes, furniture, bedding, and anything else flammable away from the heat source.