(HealthDayNews) -- A wound that's been closed with stitches (sutures) requires special home care, according to Children's Hospital in San Diego.
Here's what to do:
- Keep the wound completely dry for the first 24 hours.
- After 24 hours, you can take brief showers. Avoid soaking the wound.
- Apply antibiotic ointment three times a day.
- If the area becomes soiled, clean it with warm water.
- Change the wound dressing when it gets wet or soiled.
- Once the edges of the wound have closed, you no longer need the dressing.