HealthDay operates under the strictest editorial standards. Our syndicated news content is completely independent of any financial interests, is based solely on industry-respected sources and the latest scientific research, and is carefully fact-checked by a team of industry experts to ensure accuracy.
- All articles are edited and checked for factual accuracy by our Editorial Team prior to being published.
- Unless otherwise noted, all articles focusing on new research are based on studies published in peer-reviewed journals or issued from independent and respected medical associations, academic groups and governmental organizations.
- Each article includes a link or reference to the original source.
- Any known potential conflicts of interest associated with a study or source are made clear to the reader.
Please see our Editorial and Fact-Checking Policy for more detail.Editorial and Fact-Checking Policy
HealthDay Editorial Commitment
HeathDay is committed to maintaining the highest possible levels of impartial editorial standards in the content that we present on our website. All of our articles are chosen independent of any financial interests. Editors and writers make all efforts to clarify any financial ties behind the studies on which we report.
MONDAY, Jan. 22, 2018 (HealthDay News) -- Along with other hazards, winter storms bring with them an increased risk for illness and death from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Carbon monoxide is a gas known as the silent killer because you can't see, smell or taste it, Dr. Diane Calello explained in a news release from Rutgers University.
To reduce your risk for carbon monoxide exposure and poisoning, Calello, medical director of the New Jersey Poison Control Center, said it's important to:
- Only use generators outside and keep them more than 20 feet from both your and your neighbor's home, doors and or windows. Carbon monoxide gas from a generator can enter homes if the generator is too close.
- Clear snow from all heating and dryer vents. Be sure that gas appliances have adequate ventilation. If necessary, keep a window slightly open to allow airflow. Make sure you open the flue when using a fireplace, too.
- Never use the stove to heat your home. Never use generators, pressure washers, grills, camp stoves or other gasoline, propane, natural gas or charcoal-burning devices inside. This includes inside your home, basement, garage, carport, camper, boat cabin or tent. Don't even use these devices outside near an open window or door.
- Install carbon monoxide detectors in your home. Monitor the batteries and replace them if needed. If detectors are old or not working properly, replace them immediately.
- Don't idle a car in a closed garage. Don't idle a car in a snowbank, either. If your car is stuck in the snow, clear the tailpipe and surrounding area to keep exhaust fumes from getting into the car.
If you suspect carbon monoxide poisoning, call 911 immediately and get everyone out of the building. Don't waste time opening windows. Also call the Poison Control Center -- 1-800-222-1222 -- for immediate treatment advice, Calello said.
The National Safety Council has more on carbon monoxide.
This story may be outdated. We suggest some alternatives.
The content contained in this article is over two years old. As such our recommendation is that you reference the articles below for the latest updates on this topic. This article has been left on our site as a matter of historic record. Please contact us at email@example.com with any questions.
Updated on May 28, 2022