Keep Kids Safe From Laundry Detergent Packets
Curious children may get concentrated product in their mouth or eyes
SATURDAY, March 30, 2013 (HealthDay News) -- Single-load liquid laundry packets are becoming more popular but need to be used and stored safely. The concentrated detergent in the packets can cause harm if it is swallowed or gets into the eyes, an industry group says.
"Laundry packets are different and need to be handled differently," Nancy Bock, senior vice president of education at the American Cleaning Institute, said in a institute news release. "While these products are convenient and easy for consumers to use, it's vital for parents and caregivers to use and store these products safety and securely."
She offered the following safety tips:
- Do not puncture laundry packs or pull them apart.
- Store the packets out of children's sight and reach, and do not let children handle the packets.
- Be aware that the packets quickly dissolve when they come into contact with water, wet hands or saliva, and that the packets can rupture and release their contents into the eyes.
The safety advice was released to coincide with National Poison Prevention Week (March 17 to 23), but the safe and proper use of all cleaning products is a year-round necessity, Bock said.
"It is possible to prevent accidents involving these products and prevent a trip to the doctor's office or emergency room," said Bock, who is vice chairwoman of the National Poison Prevention Week Council.
She reminded parents and caregivers to keep the toll-free number for the Poison Control Center (800-222-1222) in a handy location.
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency explains how to poison-proof your home.