Poison Pointers

Keep emergency numbers by the phone

Please note: This article was published more than one year ago. The facts and conclusions presented may have since changed and may no longer be accurate. And "More information" links may no longer work. Questions about personal health should always be referred to a physician or other health care professional.

(HealthDayNews) -- Many household items, from laundry detergent to over-the-counter medications, can be a poison hazard for curious young children. Ideally, you should keep any potentially toxic substance out of your kid's reach.

But if your child ingests anything that may be poisonous, the American Association of Poison Control Centers suggests you immediately call a poison center and have the following information ready:

  • Your child's condition, age and weight.
  • The product (not just the name) that your child swallowed.
  • The time the incident occurred.
  • Your name and telephone number.

In an emergency, the Council on Family Health suggests you call the nationwide poison control number at 1-800-222-1222. The call is free.

- - Felicity Stone

Last Updated:

Related Articles