How to protect yourself
(HealthDayNews) -- Over the past couple of years, outbreaks of gastroenteritis or Norwalk-like viruses have afflicted hundreds of people, especially aboard cruise ships where confined living conditions allow the virus to spread rapidly.
Whether you're at home or traveling, you can fend off the Norwalk virus with these tips offered by the Johns Hopkins University Health After 50 medical letter:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water, particularly before and after meals, and keep your hands away from your face and mouth.
- Every so often, use alcohol-based hand sanitizers.
- Don't share eating utensils or drinking glasses.
- Avoid eating uncooked food.
- If you're traveling, drink only bottled water.
- If you're planning a trip and are over 65 or have a weakened immune system, your doctor may suggest additional precautions.