(HealthDayNews) -- If your baby is learning to crawl, take extra care to ensure his safety. A baby on the move can get into trouble very quickly.
The Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto offers these tips:
- Use safety gates at the top and bottom of stairs. Don't use a pressure gate at the top of the stairs. It can topple if your child leans on it.
- Keep medicines and cleaning products locked up.
- Make sure there's no furniture near windows or balcony rails.
- Keep large toys and stuffed animals out of the crib or playpen. Your baby could use them to climb over the side.
- Don't let your child stand up in the high chair; use the safety strap.
- Use the safety strap to secure your baby in a shopping cart.