(HealthDayNews) -- Hand-held hair dryers may be essential beauty tools, but they can also be dangerous. As with any electrical appliance, using them calls for common sense precautions.
The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends you follow these specific safety rules:
- Unplug your dryer when it's not in use.
- Never use one while bathing.
- Don't leave it where it can be pulled into a basin or tub.
- Don't reach for a hair dryer if it falls into water or other liquid. Unplug it immediately, then remove it.
- Don't block the appliance's openings by resting it on a soft surface, such as a bed, while you're using it. The air vents might be blocked; it can overheat and cause a fire.