(HealthDay News) -- Taking care of a significant wound helps prevent infection and minimize scaring, the Nemours Foundation says.
The foundation suggests how to care for a wound at home:
- Keep the wound covered with a clean dressing until it stops producing fluid.
- Wait an average of four days after surgery before showering. Ask your doctor for a specific time to wait.
- Do not soak in the bathtub or swim until your next doctor visit.
- Don't let pets get close to a wound.
- Do not pick or scratch a scab.