(HealthDay News) -- The curious nature of young children pushes them to explore, but they may be unsteady on their feet, increasing the likelihood of falls.
The U.S. Home Safety Council offers these preventive suggestions:
- Secure stairs with a gate at the top and bottom. Always use gates that screw into the wall and can't be pushed over.
- Use safety straps to secure children in strollers, on high chairs or on changing tables.
- Promptly clean up spills.
- Install child-proof guards or stops on windows.
- Pad the ground beneath an outdoor play set with a thick covering of mulch, wood chips or other soft material.