August 30, 2010
Health Tip: Keep Baby Safe Around Stairs
And help prevent falls
(HealthDay News) -- As babies crawl and toddlers toddle around the house, the stairs become a dangerous hazard.
The Nemours Foundation suggests how to prevent accidents involving stairs:
- Don't allow a baby or young child to be near the stairs unsupervised, even with a gate installed.
- Get rid of loose toys, clothes and other clutter on the stairs.
- Cover wide spaces on banisters and railings with a guard.
- Install a safety gate at the top and bottom of stairs; opt for one that's mounted with hardware, rather than a pressure-mounted one.
- Don't use an accordion-style gate; your child's head can get stuck in one.
- Once he or she is old enough, show your little one how to safely get down the stairs backward.