Health Tip: Lift Luggage Without Injury
Here's what to do when lugging luggage
(HealthDay News) -- Whether you're dragging out suitcases for a vacation of your own, or hauling someone else's overstuffed bags, proper lifting techniques can protect you from a back injury.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these suggestions for packing and lifting luggage:
- Try not to overpack, and opt for suitcases with wheels.
- Be careful when storing your bag overhead. Use both hands to carefully lift the bag over your head.
- Make several trips from the car, rather than carrying too much at once. Ask for help if you need it.
- Lift heavy objects by bending at the knees and using your legs, rather than your waist and back.
- Don't twist your spine as you lift.