Health Tip: Precautions While Mowing the Lawn
Steps to help prevent injury
(HealthDay News) -- Playing near lawn mowers is dangerous for children and adolescents, and adults can get hurt, too, if they don't take the proper precautions. To prevent lawn mower-related injuries, follow these safety suggestions from the American Academy of Pediatrics:
- Use a mower the comes with safety features, like a control that prevents the mower from moving forward if the handles are released.
- Never let children younger than 16 use a riding mower, and children younger than 12 use a push mower.
- Never allow children to ride on mowers, even with an adult.
- Always wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes while mowing, never sandals or flip flops that leave portions of the feet exposed.
- Clean the yard of things like rocks, sticks, and toys before mowing to prevent injuries from flying objects.
- Don't allow children to be in the yard while mowing.
- Always turn the mower off and let the blades stop completely before reaching around the blades.
- Avoid mowing in reverse.