December 19, 2007
Health Tip: Protect Injury With Elastic Bandage
Here's how to wrap it correctly
(HealthDay News) - An elastic bandage applied to an injured joint can help control pain and swelling, and provide support while the injury heals.
The University of Michigan Health System describes how to properly apply an elastic bandage:
- Start wrapping the bandage lower than the area that is injured.
- Continue to wrap upward around the injury.
- Fully wrap the entire area that is injured, wrapping securely. But do not wrap so tightly that the bandage causes the area to swell.
- If the area or surrounding area begins to swell, turn cold, blue or numb, loosen the bandage.
- Continue to use the bandage until the injury has healed.