(HealthDay News) -- Skateboarding is as popular as ever, especially among younger children and teens.
To keep them safe, here's a list of suggestions to prevent skateboard injuries, courtesy of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons:
- Use a quality skateboard, and keep it in working order.
- Learn the basic skills of the sport.
- Wear protective equipment, including a helmet, wrist guards, knee and elbow pads, and proper shoes.
- Be careful with tricks and jumps.
- Stay in shape.
- Don't use headphones while skateboarding.
- Know what to do in an emergency.